Welcome to the wholeearth recycling website
Whole Earth Recycling was founded in March 2007 at Cluny Farm.
Sorting was done at Cluny Farm by 4 sorters until 2008.
Whole Earth Recycling moved to Décor Park in 2009 and finally to Strijdom Park where they started their community based project in 2011.
Carmen Rayner (Jordaan) purchased Whole Earth Recycling at the end of 2014 and the company hopes to grow from strength to strength.
Whole Earth Recycling provides a simple, reliable and hassle-free way to recycle and by supporting Whole Earth Recycling you are supporting a wonderful community based project; a group of sorters calling themselves Hawk Flight.
Currently Hawk Flight sorts up to 120 tons of recyclable material every month!
Our Community Project
- The recyclable material that Whole Earth Recycling collects is sorted by the Hawk Flight team, currently a group of 24 sorters.
- Hawk Flight generate an income for themselves by sorting and selling the material to a local buy-back centre.
- This is Hawk Flight’s only source of income and without it they would be rummaging through Municipal refuse bins (in most cases mixed with expired food etc.) in order to gather recyclables to sell.
- By recycling you are contributing towards job creation (a total of around 40 people), directly through the Whole Earth Recycling admin team, the drivers, and the truck assistants (loaders) and indirectly through the community based project, while reducing the impact that we are having on our environment. Every little bit helps!
Tell me more about the service
- Contact us to register
- Once you have registered with Whole Earth Recycling our service recycling is easy.
- We provide you with blue recycling refuse bags on the first collection day of every month.
- All of your recycling (paper, cardboard, plastic, glass, cans, cartons such as Tetra Pak and electronic waste- anything with a plug) can be placed into the same blue recycling refuse bag- Hawk Flight take care of the sorting.
- Place your recycling bags or bin outside on your kerb every week on your designated collection day and we will collect it.
- Collections take place between 07h30 and 17h00 on your designated collection day – please have your recycling outside by 07h00 to ensure that it is collected.
- Paper and cardboard
- Certain plastics including polystyrene
- Cartons such as Tetra Pak
- Electronic waste (anything with a plug)
- Food waste – this can be composted
- Garden waste – this can also be composted
- Dog and cat food bags
- Dish washer and washing powder packets
- Chip packets
- Chocolate wrappers
- Transparent food packaging market with a triangle with a number 1 inside the triangle e.g. ready-made sandwich containers, fruit punnets and muffin trays
How can I do more
- Try to recycle as much as possible.
- Please make sure that there is no residual liquid or food waste in your plastic and glass bottles, glass jars, plastic food packaging, food and beverage cans and cartons, especially in summer months as this can be very unpleasant for the sorters.
- Although it’s not necessary, it helps if you can squash your plastic bottles, cans and cartons.
- Only place recyclable material into your blue recycling refuse bags!
- Waste removal is a huge expense for recycling companies and that is why we would like to stress the importance of the correct materials being placed in your recycling bags.
*Did you know that if you throw non-recyclable waste into your blue recycling refuse bags Hawk Flight and/or Whole Earth Recycling have to pay a waste company to come and collect the material and take it to landfill?!*
Update your details
- Please don’t forget to update us if you move or your contact details change.
Cancelling your recycling collection service
- We only require one month’s paid notice if you would like to cancel our service.